"The funny part is, I felt like marrying her the minute I saw her. I'm crazy. I didn't even like her much, and yet all of a sudden I felt like I was in love with her and wanted to marry her. I swear to God I'm crazy. I admit it."
Holden just sees Sally and starts talking about what she is wearing. He starts talking about the feelings he has toward her and he thinks hes in love with her and wants to marry her. I think this means that Holden comes to conclusions way to fast. He didn't even say a word to her before he started talking about being in love with her and wanting to marry her. This could show why Holden doesn't like anyone too much, he draws conclusions way to fast about people. It seems like Holden doesn't get a long with to many other people all that well. He always talks about the negative things about the people he doesn't like and only the positive things with the few people he does like. It seems like Holden doesn't give people much of a chance. Later on in the book Holden to meet someone and think he is in love with them and then take off somewhere with them. He wouldn't consider any of the bad things that could happen because he would feel good with that person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a great point, Terry, and something I hadn't stopped to think about. So much of our reading depends on how we interpret Holden's 'reliability.' For all we know, Sally is a shallow, conceited, phony; however, Holden may be generalizing or judging people around him inaccurately because of his state of mind.
ReplyDeleteGood point.