Saturday, April 25, 2009
Holden between Childhood and Adulthood
At times throughout the book Holden can seem very mature. He flirted with that woman that he meet on the train and asked to buy her a few drinks even though he is only 17. Holden also lied to that woman tons of times while they were talking. I'm not sure he told her anything that was the truth, not even his name. That doesn't seem like he is acting very mature. Once Holden gets to his hotel room he acts like a little kid by looking across the hotel into other people's rooms. When Holden goes down to the Lavender Room in the hotel he was staying at he flirts with three girls. He offers to buy them some drinks and dances with them. When he does things like that he can come off as a mature person. I think many teens have trouble taking responsibility for themselves. I know i struggle with this often. There is so many things going on in my life and sometimes it is hard to take responsibility for what I do and just put it on others. Holden is always talking about other people's faults and doesn't talk much about his own faults. Another things I think many teens have trouble with is dealing with peer pressure. When you struggle to fit into groups you can easily be pressured into doing things that you normally wouldn't do. I don't think Holden has a problem with peer pressure. Holden doesn't seem to struggle with peer pressure though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great predictions and insight into Holden's maturity. I really like when you said that Holden is very quick to point out others' faults; however, rarely stops to look at his own faults. I think Holden is smart and understands the world in ways that are very mature; however, many could say by not accepting the world the way it is and concentrating on what you can do to fix YOUR life, you are not acting with maturity.
ReplyDelete